The ANZPAC Plastics Pact has launched in the Australia, New Zealand and Pacific Islands region, uniting 60 members including leading businesses such as Nestle and Woolworths, NGOs, and governments behind a series of ambitious 2025 targets to eliminate plastic waste.
"ANZPAC is a collaborative program that unites businesses, policy makers and NGOs behind a shared vision of a circular economy for plastic, where it never becomes waste or pollution,” said CEO, APCO, Brooke Donnelly.
“As one of our founding Members, Coca‑Cola South Pacific will be one of the leading voices throughout this journey, helping us to build and shape a program that delivers meaningful change on the plastics issues. I encourage all of you to follow Coca‑Cola South Pacific’s lead and be part of the new approach to plastic in the Oceania region,” Brooke said.
The Plastics Pact will work to fundamentally transform our response to plastic by:
- Eliminating the plastics we don’t need;
- Innovating to ensure the plastics we do need are reusable, recyclable, or compostable;
- Circulating the plastic we use, keeping it in the economy and out of the environment.
“We do not want to see plastic packaging end up where it does not belong – in our oceans, waterways or in landfill. This is a major and urgent challenge, but also a solvable problem if we design and support a circular economy,” said Coca‑Cola South Pacific vice president Rob Priest.
The targets of the Plastics Pact closely align with Coca‑Cola’s World Without Waste goals and this milestone of a cross-industry shared vision is crucial to delivering on our commitments across the Pacific region.
“As part of our World Without Waste commitment, Coca‑Cola has taken action across Australia and New Zealand to reduce plastic including switching to 100 per cent recycled plastic in all our bottles under 750ml and below. We know there is more to do. By working with other regional members across the private and public sector as part of the ANZPAC Plastics Pact, we can make even greater progress,” Rob said.
As a signatory, Coca‑Cola South Pacific alongside all members will work toward four actionable targets by 2025:
1. Eliminate unnecessary and problematic plastic packaging through redesign, innovation and alternative (reuse) delivery models.
2. 100 per cent of plastic packaging to be reusable, recyclable or compostable packaging by 2025.
3. Increase plastic packaging collected and effectively recycled by 25 per cent for each geography within the ANZPAC region.
4. Average of 25 per cent recycled content in plastic packaging across the region.