Beef and Chorizo Empanadas with Chimichurri
- 1 Premade pie crust dough - chilled (favorite store bought)
- 1 lbs ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp lard or olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 oz diced chorizo
- ½ pound potatoes, peeled & diced
- 4 garlic cloves, mashed to a paste
- 2 tsp chopped thyme
- 2 tsp chopped marjoram or 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- Large pinch cayenne
- Beef or chicken broth, as necessary, or use water
- ½ cup chopped scallions, white and green parts
- ¼ cup chopped pitted green olives
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup chimichurri sauce (favorite store bought)
- Make the filling: Season ground beef generously with salt and pepper and set aside for 10 minutes. Add 3 Tbsp olive oil in a wide heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and fry until browned, stirring throughout, about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat down to medium and add onion and chorizo. Keep turning mixture until onion is softened and browned, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, garlic, thyme and marjoram and stir well to incorporate. (add more oil to pan if feels dry.) Season again with salt and pepper and let mixture cook for 2 more minutes. Stir in tomato paste, paprika and cayenne, then a cup of broth of water. Turn heat to simmer, stirring well.
- Cook for about 10 more minutes, until both meat and potatoes are tender and the sauce just coats them. Stir in scallions and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Divide chilled dough into 1oz pieces and form into 2 inch diameter balls. Roll each piece into a 4 ½ circle. Lay dough circles on a baking sheet lightly dusted with flour. Moisten outer edge of each round with water. Put about 2 Tbsp of filling in the center of each round, adding a little chopped green olive and some hard-cooked egg to each.
- Wrap dough around filing to form empanada, pressing edges together. Fold the edge back and finish by pinching little pleats or crimping with a fork.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place empanadas on parchment-lined or oiled baking about 1 inch apart. Bruch tops lightly with egg yolks and bake on top shelf of oven until golden, 10-15 minutes. Serve warm with Chimichurri sauce.