Kwame's Jerk BBQ Chicken Wings
- 3 lbs Chicken Party Wings
- 1 cup Jerk Seasoning/Paste
- 4 tbsp Garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp Ginger, minced
- 3 tbsp Neutral Oil
- 1/2 cup Hot Honey, such as Mike’s
- 1/2 cup Jerk BBQ Sauce, plus more to serve
- 1/4 cup Scallion, sliced on bias
- 15 Cilantro Leaves
For the sauce:
- 6 tbsp Jerk Seasoning/Paste, such as Walkerwood’s
- 2 cups Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Ginger, minced
- 1 3/4 cup Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- Neutral Oil, as needed
- Kosher Salt, such as Diamond Crystal, as needed
- Combine jerk seasoning, ginger, garlic, and oil in a blender and process until smooth.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and toss with the blended mixture. Place the chicken in a large ziplock bag and seal the bag, pushing out as much air as possible. Transfer to the refrigerator for up to 48 hours - longer is better.
* if able, for the last 24 hours arrange the wings on a rack over a lined baking sheet. This will allow the skin and marinade to dry out before roasting, resulting in a crispier skin
- While the chicken is marinating, make the Jerk BBQ Sauce: Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. When it shimmers, add the GGP and onions. Sauté until the onions start to become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to simmer over medium heat; simmer gently, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring frequently to prevent sticking and burning. The sauce should be thick, glossy, and deep red. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly then transfer to a blender and process on high until smooth. Transfer to a container to cool then reserve in fridge until ready to serve.